The Grade 9 Music course consists of three components: Performance, Theory, and Perspective. Each component contains recorded performances, written assignments, and/or quizzes for you to demonstrate your musical skills and knowledge.
Performance assignments emphasize:
- Study of an instrument or voice with a private music instructor
- Evaluation of performance skills and goals over the school year
Theory assignments emphasize:
- Rudiments of written music theory
- Organization of structural elements of music
Perspective assignments emphasize:
- Historical and stylistic perspectives of Western Music
- National and ethnic music
- The role of music in our lives
Each component of this course will given a different weight when used to calculate your final grade. This is based on the amount of hours you are expected to dedicate to completing the work in that component. All the assignments within each component will be weighted equally.
Performance = 60%
Theory = 10%
Perspective = 30%
All assignments for each term are due on the dates listed on the main page. It is important to plan ahead and look at all the required assignments at the beginning of the term so you can plan ahead to submit your work on time.