Exercise 3.2: Bioinvasion and Predation
1. A beaver decides to build a dam in a forested area such as Long Lake, Cypress Hills, Alberta. What type of impact would the dam have?
a) Positives as a result of the beaver dam --->
b) Negatives as a result of the beaver dam --->
2. Where do zebra mussels originate from?
3. How did they get to the Great Lakes?
4. What year was the mussel introduced to the Great Lakes?
5. How expensive was the 1995 zebra mussel interference to large water users on the Great Lakes?
6. How may the introduction of a non-native plant species affect an ecosystem?
Go to the websites listed below to answer these questions:
7. Explain why raccoons are considered undesirable.
8. Explain how purple loosestrife is controlled in Ontario?