Excercise 1.2: Function and Aesthetics
Find an advertisement for a structure or product online, in a magazine, or a newspaper.
Read or listen to the advertising messages and analyze what is being presented to the consumer. What is more important: function or aesthetics?
1. Include a link to the advertisement (if it's a video) or a copy of advertisement (if it's an image). If you can't find these, give a written description of the advertisement.
2. Answer the following questions:
- Where did you find this advertisement?
- What is the ad for?
- What is the function of the structure or product?
- What are the aesthetics of the structure or product?
- Which is emphasized more: function or aesthetics?
- If aesthetics was not important, do you think this advertisement would be presented differently? How would it change?