Exercise 1.2: Natural Disasters
3. What is the difference between the Mercalli Scale and the Richter Scale?
4. Use this website to define the following terms: http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/vsc/glossary/
a) magma –
b) lava –
c) caldera –
d) pyroclastic flow –
e) fumarole –
Look at this image of the “Ring of Fire” and answer the following questions.
5. Why do you think it is called the “Ring of Fire?”
6. Name 10 countries that have volcanoes in this group.
7. Is Canada part of the “Ring of Fire?” Which province?
Read this website and answer the following questions about tsunami: http://www2.fiu.edu/~longoria/natural/wave/Wmain.htm
8. What is a tsunami? How is it created?
9. Where do most tsunami happen in the world? On average, how many destructive tsunami occur each year?
10. What kind of damage can a tsunami do?