Exercise 3.1: Fossil Evidence
Use the readings in this online lesson to help you answer these questions.
1. Which fossils indicate that Africa and South America were once close together?
2. Is it possible that Mesosaurus simply swam across the ocean?
3. What evidence is there that Australia and Antarctica were once close together?
4. Alberta has large amounts of coal and natural gas. What does this suggest about the climate of Alberta in the past?
5. Does the presence of coal in Alberta mean that it must have once been connected to Antarctica?
6. If a scientist wanted to investigate the possibility that Alberta and Antarctica were once attached, what other rock evidence would they look at?