Exercise 4.1: Fossils and Time
1. Click on Resources and then click on How is a fossil made? to see an animation of the fossilization process. Read all the information and summarize the process in a paragraph using your own words.
Click on Journey to start a game that gives you some good information about the major geologic periods that we have fossils from. The games on the journey are intended for a younger audience, but the information included is accurate.
2. When was the Silurian Period and what was it like? What famous fossil is from this period?
3. When was the Devonian Period? What significant event happened during this period?
4. When was the Carboniferous Period? The Stethacanthus is a predecessor to which modern animal?
5. When was the Jurassic Period? Write 1 interesting piece of information about each type of dinosaur given to you in the Journey.
6. When was the Cretaceous Period? Which fossils can be found in chalk (limestone) deposits?