Exercise 4.3: Geological Time
There are 3 resources for you to use in this assignment:
Stories from the Fossil Record - http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/education/explorations/tours/stories/middle/intro.html
Understanding Geologic Time (click on “Student Start”) - http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/education/explorations/tours/geotime/index.html
Understanding Geologic Time
1. How many years ago (approximately) were the Earth and Moon formed?
2. What is the “Law of Superposition”?
Geologic Time Scale
1. When was the Paleozoic Era?
2. Which animal dominated the Cambrian Period?
3. In which period did mammals first appear?
4. What major event happened in the Cretaceous period?
5. Which eon, era, period and epoch are we in right now?
Stories from the Fossil Record
1. (Paleoecology) What can fossils tell us about the ecology of a past environment?
2. (Past Lives) How can growth rings help us determine the age of a fossil when it died?
3. (Past Lives) What can fossils tell us about how animals behaved?
4. (Biodiversity) How do scientists know that the ancient Archaeopteryx and modern birds are related?