Exercise 2.2: Osmosis
Experiment Time: Osmosis
Now lets explore osmosis. Consider reviewing the multimedia segment in Background Information before completing this activity.
- 2 soup bowls
- 6 carrot sticks approximately the same size and shape
- 15 mL of salt
- 250 mL measuring cup
1. Use the measuring cup to add 250 mL of water into each bowl.
2. Add the 15 ml of salt to one bowl. Do not add anything else to the second bowl.
3. Describe the shape, texture, and rigidity of the carrot sticks in your science notebook.
4. Place two carrot sticks into each bowl of water. Leave two carrot sticks on the counter.
5. Wait for about an hour then remove the carrot sticks from the bowls and place them on a paper towel.
Analyze and Conclude