Exercise 2.4: Speed Ratios on a Mountain Bike
|Speed Ratios on a Mountain Bike
In this activity you are going to get out your mountain bike and calculate the speed ratio of the different gear combinations. If you don't have a mountain bike ask a friend to bring their bike over - they can even help you do your project!
1. First number the front sprockets 1(the largest), 2, and 3 (the smallest).
2. Now count the number of teeth on each sprocket. Record your results.
3. Now do the same for the back sprockets.
4. Fill the data you collected into the table.
5. Calculate the speed ratio where each front and back sprocket intersect in the table.
Calculate the speed ratios for mountain bikes with the following characteristics:
© 2002 Alberta Online Consortium