Week 35 - Planet Earth Unit Test
Review: An Overview of the Module
Below is a list of the topics covered by the questions that may appear on your exam. The entire test bank is made up of approximately 149 questions the computer will randomly choose 50 questions for each exam attempt you make.
Your exam consists of 50 multiple choice questions. Use the text, your notes, and information from the activities to study for this exam.
Topics on the Planet Earth Exam:
- define geologist
- know the states of matter of the rock in both the inner and outer cores of the Earth
- know the layers of the Earth and the significance of each
- what is each layer of the Earth composed of?
- what causes an earthquake?
- how is pinpointing the epicentre of an earthquake used to provide disaster relief?
- what is the Richter scale?
- what is magma activity?
- define erosion and deposition
- what type of rock are fossils found in?
- fossils most likely are preserved what?
- define radioactive carbon dating
- how many eras is the earth's history divided into?
- what was Pangaea?
- define "dynamic Earth"
- where are earthquakes most common in North America?
- limestone is most weathered by which acid?
- predict changes in the Earth's surface when given location and types of fossil remains found
- define weathering
- when given an experimental situation, provide the inquiry question
- define faulting and folding and recognize examples of each
- heat and pressure result in what in metamorphic rocks?
- layered sandstone indicates the presence of what at one time?
- large crystals in rock indicate what about its formation?
- know the processes that go on within a volcano before and as it erupts
- what happens to the shape of mountain rages as they age?
- define controlled, responding, and manipulated variables
- choose various variable types given experimental situations
- what makes up a volcano cone?
- how are mountains formed?
- define seismograph and seismogram
- how are seismic waves recorded at a seismic station?
- define cleavage, fracture, and lustre in relation to rocks
- know when best to use maps versus models
- in layers of sedimentary rock, where would you find the oldest fossils? the youngest fossils?
- what is a fault line?
- describe the movement of the Earth's crustal plates
- what is the Mid-Atlantic ridge?
- where are volcanoes located?
- how is a volcanic island formed?
- how many types of volcanoes are there?
- what are shield cones composed of?
- what type of cones are the largest volcanoes?
- describe a composite cone
- what type of cone is most common?
- what type of cone forms the smallest volcanoes?
- how is a plateau of volcanic rock formed?
- describe how the volcanoes in Hawaii were formed
- where can extrusive igneous rock be found?
- all volcanoes are made from which type of rock?
- know the properties of minerals
- how many groups can igneous rocks be classified into?
- what organisms form limestone?
- what is shale made up of?
- know the characteristics of the 3 types of rocks: sedimentary, metamorphic, and igneous
- know the difference between intrusive and extrusive rocks
- choose an example of a metamorphic rock
- know how each of the 3 types of rocks are formed
- how do rock particles move through water?
- define fossil mould and fossil cast
- how are fossils formed?
- how are scavengers and fossil formation related?
- which part of a plant is most likely to be fossilized?
- which layer of rock are trilobites most likely to be found?
- order the events in Earth's history
- how can fossils from one type of organism be distinguished form another? ie. amphibians and reptiles
- what changes have occurred in mammals over the ages?
- when did dinosaurs become extinct?
- when did the first human like animals appear on Earth?
- what is the theory of strata formation?
- what is the principle of superposition and how is it used?
- what period of time includes the present?
- in what time period was the Earth formed?
- which time period is the largest?
- when was the Mesozoic time period?
- in which time period did the first air breathing organisms appear?
- the Cenozoic period is divided into which divisions?